It burns me up to know that I am working my tail off and constantly following the most recent research and implementing the most current strategies, and yet I will be the first to go, over the teacher who would still be using the ditto machine if given the opportunity. My lessons change each year with each new batch of kiddos. I have not taught the same book report or writing assignment for the past 10 years, as though it is a rite of passage - regardless of how outdated it has become. In fact, I have yet to see a year in my 12 year career that even slightly resembles the past year.
I enjoy being overly involved in committees and love the chance to step up as a leader, rather than be a follower. I am the life long learner that most school mission statements declare they are creating within their walls. I seek change and challenge when people want to do the same that has always been done, yet expect something new to be produced in return. I am a perfectionist and like knowing things are done the right way the first time around. Mediocrity is simply not acceptable in my eyes - I strive to be always operating at my fullest potential and then some!
" Only mediocrity is safe. Therefore, be the best and get prepared to be attacked". Paulo Coelho
Yet now I fear all these characteristics within me will be forced to a grinding halt. It is not that I will give up, but it is the mere truth that the market is becoming overly saturated with educators! So many positions are being cut that when push comes to shove, isn't it only logical that a district will seek to hire the cheapest teacher, not necessarily the one with the most experience and a proven track record?
As with anything, time will tell. Maybe this is the sign that I need to forge ahead and enter the realm of administration a few years earlier than planned. (Although with Mike's schooling, I am struggling to grasp how this will be doable - our children are so dependent on us still at their current ages! It isn't fair to them for Dad to be at work all day and then school all night.Plus, I could be living at my school due to added responsibilities. NOT IDEAL! )
So, let's add this to the prayer list. I will not pray for my job, as that is out of my hands at this stage in the game. Instead, I will pray that my Master Plan be one that allows me to continue to impact the lives of children for the better, to create bold transforming changes in the field of education for the best, and to leave the world a better place than that of which I started. If the opportunities that I am provided allow me to do all this, as well as allow me to pursue my personal best as mother and wife, then I will chalk it all up as an answered prayer. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment