Saturday, July 9, 2011

Blueberries

Each year I love going to pick blueberries.  Can't seem to do so without recalling Blueberries for Sal, a personal favorite children's book of mine.  Today I told Ella to watch for bears, and she informed me that there were no bears around.  I reminded her of the trouble Sal got into with the bears, and she just giggled.  I didn't need a response, just her giggle let me know that she too was able to recall this great story! (mission accomplished, however, I think I may pull the book out this weekend and reread with the kiddos, just for the sake of it.)


Tonight we picked 38 cups of blueberries in less than an hour.  I know because Mike and I froze them all for a years worth of fruit smoothies!   We hope to return to Wintergreen Farms one more time to harvest a large batch for jams, but stocking one of the deep freezers was top priorities first!  The kids adore smoothies, and I adore that I am sneaking fruits and veggies into "dessert".

Linc showing off his prized blueberry!

All smiles and laughter - eager to see who could get the most in their bucket.  A little friendly competition helps in productivity!  LOL
The blueberry field appears to go on forever!  One of these years we will venture to the very back of the property... for now, our little legs will settle with making it midway down a row! 

No comments:

Post a Comment